My start came some over 25 years ago as a VAT Legislator and Auditor at SARS. In this position, I was responsible for writing and interpreting VAT legislation, writing VAT guides, auditing companies and providing VAT training.
I moved to the position of VAT Manager at BDO where my focus was dedicated to my passion in training. Here I trained at the VAT School, assisted clients with VAT objections, appeals and VAT opinions. I always make my training courses fun, relative, informative and memorable.
I opened my own practice where I wrote a number of publications including The Practical VAT Handbook – VAT law in laymen’s terms for smaller to medium businesses to understand, and comply with VAT law.
With all the wealth of experience I attained, I seem to have picked up the nickname “The VAT Lady,” which then became a brand.
At The VAT Lady, I share the knowledge and insights I have attained over the years, in my VAT training courses. I have worked with several clients and helped them take SARS on and win. Especially where SARS has gone against its own rules, or the VAT Law.
My training courses are not just informative! I cut out the jargon, go to the basics, break down the legalese and always aim to deliver insightful, relative, cutting-edge and memorable courses.
VAT Course Topics
- Introduction to VAT – get the basics of VAT and your obligations as a vendor
- The definition of enterprise explained – know who should register for VAT and when
- VAT registration – follow these steps and make sure your process isn’t drawn out longer than necessary
- VAT deregistration – find out when this is the best course of action to take and the hidden costs
- Output tax explained – make sure you know when to pay and how
- Input tax – how and when to claim, plus, all the little-known input tax claims you should be taking advantage of
- Notional input tax and the rules you need to follow
- How to account for VAT correctly and stay on SARS’ good side
- The different types of supplies – the difference between standard, deemed, mixed, zero-rated and exempt supplies and how to treat each for VAT correctly
- Time of supply rules – when you should be paying and claiming VAT
- Fixed properties – how to deal with transfer duty or VAT on property and when you can claim input tax
- Recovery of costs with VAT – this is quite understandably confusing, so I show you how to get it right once and for all
- Non-profit organisations and how they deal with VAT
- Donations and sponsorships – the special VAT rules that apply
- Invoices, tax invoices, proforma tax invoices – all the do’s and don’ts and what the VAT law says
- Apportionment and adjustments – find out when you’ll have to make adjustments, or apportion and how to do it correctly
- VAT returns – how to complete the VAT201 form and red flags to look out for
- VAT payments – pay VAT on time or avoid the hefty penalties
- VAT refunds – I show you how you can use the VAT law to get your refund in the prescribed 21 days
- VAT Audits – how to handle SARS on this one
- VAT Law updates so you stay on top of your obligations and remain compliant
And lots more!